How to Prevent a Roach Infestation
Every one of us has seen cockroaches in our dinning rooms or kitchens. These small nocturnal bugs could attack your house without any warning. They are horrible crawlers that stray everywhere including the toilet, over your cooked meals and dirty dishes. This explains why they spread diseases. Roaches carry germs that are harmful to human health. They spread allergies and asthma. If you happen to find any cockroach in your house, you must immediately look for the source. This is the only way to get rid of the problem. Else, the roaches will multiply and grow. Roaches are capable of surviving on minimal resources. They even survive a house explosion. This could give you an idea how difficult it is to show them the way out of your home. Hence, it is important that you deal with roach infestation issue very seriously. Deal with it as soon as it occurs.
Before you get in to how to deal with roaches, you must remember a few points about them so that you can handle them well:
- Roaches crawl only during night. Therefore, if you are not getting their source you must check out at night
- The areas where roaches occur are normally dark, warm and moist. You must try to keep the corners of your house clean and dry. Roaches breed in wet areas and maximum roach infestation happens near the sink.
- The most likely target areas, loved by roaches include below the sink, in the cracks and crevices, behind the cabinets and drawers and near sink areas.
- Roaches will mostly only enter your house if there is left over foods or spillages. If there are several filthy hiding places in your house, roaches will celebrate
- Try to keep your house as clean as possible and pick up all the left over food and secure it in tins, boxes or in the refrigerator.
- Clean all vessels of the day before you sleep so that there are no dirty plates in the sink.
- If there are several cracks and crevices in your walls, you must get them repaired at the earliest. Roaches love to stay in cracks and can hide there for days. Hence, it is important that you seal them soon.
- Roaches do not like naphthalene balls. These white balls are effective in keeping the roaches away. Moreover, they emit a good fresh smell in your cabinets, cupboards and drawers.
In case you find roaches, you could take the following steps:
- Use Sprays: There are sprays available in the market that instantly kills these pests. You can keep a bottle so that whenever you find a bug, just spray on it and the job is over. Take care of the children. Take the spray far from their reach.
- Bait: If you are uncomfortable with spray due to the smell and its effects on health, you could buy bait. It is as a gel applied at places where roaches frequent. Bait works really well by luring the roaches first. Then the roaches die after consuming them.
- Home remedy: Make dough with sugar, flour and boric acid. Boric acid kills roaches and sugar attracts them. Flour will make them stick to the balls and thus this is very effective in keeping the roaches away.
- Exterminators: If all steps to prevent roach infestation fail then you must take professional help to deal with roach problems.